Sunday, April 18, 2010

Annotation of Article draft 2

Kendra Braga
English 11
Dr Howard Tinberg
4/18/2010

Annotation for “Bowhead Whales, and not Right Whales, were the primary target of 16th- to 17th- century Basque whalers in the western North Atlantic,”
In this article, the author focuses on the issue of whaling in the 16th/17th century. It is said that the the Right Whale was the primary target for the whalers in that time period; however, McLeod gives evidence as to why they were not, and it was actually the Bowhead whale that was the target whale species. Whalers were out to get oil, but little that they knew, they were killing the majority of the whales. In these 200 years, Basque whalers killed roughly 25,000- 40,000 whales including both species, leaving both Right Whales and Bowhead Whales endangered.
The article gives a reader a different perspective on the issue. What I once thought wasn’t that big of a deal, is now a clear issue. 40,000 whales is a lot to kill; especially when they are a slow reproducing species. It’s also interesting to see that et whales migrate according to sex and age. The whalers quickly caught onto this. The author provided solid evidence to his thesis. He described the methods that were used in finding which whale species was the primary target and this is what gave the article it’s validity.

Post write:
I’m not sure whether my summary is too vague or too specific. However, I think I get the main idea across. I added some thought to the evaluation, so I think it’s better than before.
I think my summary needs some work. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I feel like it’s not complete.
Should I be less specific in my summary?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kendra:

    You seem quite interested in the article's subject: that makes your response interesting as well.

    Your summary works pretty well, I believe. It seems clear and useful

    Your second paragraph, however, probably could use a bit more precision as to the methods and evidence used by the author. I'm also not sure what makes the approach "different," as you write in the first sentence of paragraph two.

    Please use MLA style when citing, okay? Annotation for “Bowhead Whales, and not Right Whales, were the primary target of 16th- to 17th- century Basque whalers in the western North Atlantic,”

    This is the author of the article? McLeod gives evidence

    punctuation? it’s validity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk Back:
    What I understandfrom your comment, is that youy want me to be more specific as to how they gathered the information for the topic.

    ReplyDelete