Thursday, April 15, 2010

Article Annotation draft 1

Kendra Braga
English 11
Dr Howard Tinberg
4/15/2010

Annotation for “Bowhead Whales, and not Right Whales, were the primary target of 16th- to 17th- century Basque whalers in the western North Atlantic,”
In this article, the author focuses on the issue of whaling in the 16th/17th century. It is said that the the Right Whale was the primary target for the whalers in that time period; however, McLeod gives evidence as to why they were not. It was actually the Bowhead whale that was the target whale species. Whalers were out to get oil, but little that they knew, they were killing the majority of the whales. In these 200 years, Basque whalers killed roughly 25,000- 40,000 whales including both species, leaving both Right Whales and Bowhead Whales endangered.

The article gives a reader a different perspective on the issue. What I once thought wasn’t that big of a deal, is now a clear issue. 40,000 whales is a lot to kill; especially when they are a slow reproducing species. It’s also interesting to see that et whales migrate according to sex and age. The whalers quickly caught onto this.

Post write:
So far I like the summary. I think I got the general idea of the article in the first paragraph.
I need to work on my evaluation.
Should I include more in my summary?
How can I make my evaluation stronger?

No comments:

Post a Comment