Saturday, February 20, 2010

Essay of Application; First Draft

When people think of India they usually think of the historic Taj Mahal, or the beautiful Arabian architecture. However, when I think of India I think of something different. Two years ago, I went to India with a mission group from church to visit orphanages. What I expected was to go help people and make a difference in their lives; however, I experienced something different. While India certainly has its beauty, it also has much poverty. Everywhere there are beggars, abandoned children, and tarp homes. There is a class system embedded into the culture so much that there is clear distinction between the high, middle, and low classes. One image that is burned into my mind is the sight of a rich man’s house with a fence around it, and just feet away were the slums. It was a heart breaking picture. However, in the midst of all this poverty and sadness, there are people: people who love each other with a love deeper than the American culture knows, people who know what it means to stick together through thick and thin, people who can make anyone feel welcome in their home. These were just some of the life lessons learned while I was in India.
I can never forget the first feelings upon arrival in Hyderabad, India. First impressions were made by merely breaking the atmosphere. The smell was putrid. It was something I have never smelled before. After getting off the plane, I immediately noticed that nobody was alone. Everyone was in groups of two or three. This was striking because it showed me that they understand the concept of unity. There was always a mother with her child, or a sister taking care of her younger brother, or a father going to work with a co-worker. There is a genuine sense of unity and care that not many people in America are familiar with.
Americans are not accustomed to seeing beggars or abandoned children right outside their door. It is simply unheard of. These people sit on a street corner in a fetal position with an outstretched hand, waiting for a coin, or some food to fall into the palm of their hand. In the same way, the helpless children repeat these gestures hoping that one day they will receive the expected result. Walking by them broke my heart. There is only so much one person can do. I was fourteen years old with just enough money to get me through the two weeks of my stay, so I did not have much to offer. We were in India primarily to visit orphans; thus, that’s what I was prepared for.

A great deal of lessons were learned at these orphanages. The first thing I noticed was the joy illuminating the children’s faces. This joy went beyond the happiness we know of in America. They had nearly nothing, yet were content with their metal beds and small, possession boxes. These orphans showed me that ‘stuff’ does not bring happiness, rather, happiness comes through contentment in the heart. Many times the things we get so caught up in can be a distraction from what is really important, such as spending time with those you love or going out of your way to lend a helping hand.
The children also showed me that appropriately prioritizing the things in life is important. Family is one of their top priorities. There are many orphans in these orphanages accompanied by their siblings. Even though they don’t have much, they still care for one another no matter how difficult the circumstance may be. In America, we are so used to taking care of ourselves and not worrying about the person next to us. In India, visitors feel welcome by merely stepping foot into the host’s home. They offer everything they have to guests as they take a seat at their kitchen table and make them feel wanted in the home.
These are just a few of the things that I learned when I went to India. Coming back made me realize how much even the poorest of Americans have and how fortunate we are to live in a country like this. I would like to take what I have seen in India and become a nurse so that I can help those in need; not only here, in the United States, but out in the poorest of places. I want people to experience care even if it is just for a short time.

4 comments:

  1. Post Write:

    How do I feel about the paper so far?
    I feel like it’s really long and can use some trimming down. I think there’s a lot of story and not enough reason.

    What remains to be done?
    I’m gonna try to cut some of the paper out and make my reason for going to to the school more valid. I’m also going to try to make the paper more relatable to the readers.

    Questions I have for the reader:
    Do you think the paper has too much fluff?

    Do you think that I can use more description/ make the paper more colorful?

    Do you think I should be more persuading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, : ) I did not know your were in church mission group. I am currently in mission group too. I liked your essay, but where is the question for the application essay? : ) I was also wondering that isn't your essay puts to much focus on India rather then about yourself? May be it's the question that I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question is: Describe a personal experience that has profoundly changed your perspective on an issue of regional, national, or international importance. In what ways has this event impacted your previous perspective? How will it change your approach to this issue (or similar issues) in the future?

    Thank you for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peer review
    Tyler Thompson
    English 11
    “Essay of application”

    Describe the assignment asked of Kendra:

    The assignment asked of Kendra was to write an essay of application. In the essay, she must answer a specific prompt or question taken from the class textbook, the class website or another found through research on the internet. If Kendra uses a prompt that she researched, she must include it atop the essay. The essay has must be written in multiple paragraphs and should run between 350-500 words.

    Has Kendra met the expectations of the assignment?

    Yes, Kendra has met all expectations in the assignment accept for the 500 word limit. The prompt she chose was to describe a personal experience that changed her perspective on an issue of local, national or global importance. How has it affected her previous perspective and how does it change her approach to the issue in the future?
    She describes a trip to India when she was 14. She was unaware of the vast poverty in the country before she arrived. In the first paragraph she writes, “What I expected was…I experienced something totally different. This example shows her view of India was going much different then what she expected due to the mass poverty, which she had never seen before. In the last paragraph, she answers part two of the prompt quite clearly. She writes, “I would like to take what I have seen in India and become a nurse so I can help those in need”

    What area needs more work?

    Paragraph three is an excellent description of the poverty she witnessed but the opening line “Americans are not…outside there door” may not be the correct topic sentence here. Kendra mentions America quite a bit in the piece. It helps her answer her prompt because it shows that most Americans, including herself are unaware of the poverty in India. It does however get a little confusing sometimes the way she uses America in the piece. Maybe organizing all of the America comments into one paragraph might help the reader.

    Two questions I have for Kendra:

    1) I do not know if it was you’re intention but it seems like you might be blaming some of the poverty in India on America. Alternatively, that America is a spoiled country. To the reader it seems you are using America in a negative light. Is this what you mean it to say? If so maybe explain a little more.
    2) Has you’re strong faith helped you influenced what you have chosen as a life’s path?


    The essay holds my attention. It is a great story. It amazes someone like me who had know clue what I was going to do with my life until I was 25 that a 14 year old was thinking far ahead of me at such a young age. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete