Monday, May 3, 2010

“Lend a Helping Hand” Essay for Application FINAL DRAFT

Kendra Braga
Dr. Howard Tinberg
English 11
May 3, 2010
“Lend a Helping Hand”
Essay for Application
Final Draft
____________________________________________________
Prompt:
Describe a personal experience that has profoundly changed your perspective on an issue of regional, national, or international importance. In what way has this event impacted your previous perspective? How will it change your approach to the issue (or similar issues) in the future?
____________________________________________________
America. The land of the free, and home of the brave; sweet land of liberty, and home sweet home to millions of people. When people think of America, they think of the said things and more. They think of the statue of liberty, or the American flag; but most of all, when people from outside peer into this beautiful home we call America, they see freedom and a better life. What they do not see is the bad that is in the country. In cities, there are many homeless people walking the streets and women selling themselves to make ends meet. They don’t see the children that are orphaned and put into foster care. The don’t see the people who work so hard to put food on the table, rather, they see the businessmen doing well. That is the life they think of when they think of America. Many U.S. citizens do not pay much attention to these things either, until they are exposed to something else. Although the United States has this, they are still better off than many other countries. Like many others, the American life is all I knew until I was fourteen years old. In 2007, I went on a trip to India and that changed the way I look at life, here in the States and out in the world, forever.
The mission for this trip to India was to visit thirteen orphanages and what I expected was to go help people and make a difference in their lives; however, I experienced something different. While India certainly has its beauty, it also has much poverty. Everywhere there are beggars, abandoned children, and tarp homes. There is a class system embedded into the culture so much that there is clear distinction between the high, middle, and low classes. One image that is burned into my mind is the sight of a rich man’s house with a fence around it, and just feet away were the slums. However, in the midst of all this poverty and sadness, there are people: people who love each other; people who know what it means to stick together through thick and thin; people who can make anyone feel welcome in their home.
I can never forget the first feelings upon arrival in Hyderabad, India. First impressions were made by merely breaking the atmosphere. The smell was putrid. It was something I have never smelled before. After getting off the plane, I immediately noticed that nobody was alone. Everyone was someone. This was striking because it showed me that they understand the concept of unity. There was always a mother with her child, or a sister taking care of her younger brother, or a father going to work with a co-worker. There is a genuine sense of unity and care among the Indian people.
Although Americans see homeless people, they are not accustomed to seeing beggars or abandoned children right outside their door. It is simply unheard of. The beggars in India sit on a street corner in a fetal position with an outstretched hand, waiting for a coin, or some food to fall into the palm of their hand. In the same way, the helpless children repeat these gestures, hoping that one day they will receive the expected result. Walking by them broke my heart. There is only so much one person can do. I was fourteen years old with just enough money to get me through the two weeks of my stay, therefore, I did not have much to offer. We were in India primarily to visit orphans; thus, that’s what I was prepared for.
The first thing I noticed in the orphanages was the joy illuminating the children’s faces. They had nearly nothing, yet were content with their metal beds and small, possession boxes. These orphans showed me that “stuff” does not bring happiness; rather, happiness comes through contentment in the heart. Many times the things people get so caught up in can be a distraction from what is really important, such as spending time with loved ones or going out of your way to lend a helping hand.
The children also showed me that appropriately prioritizing the things in life is important. Family is one of their top priorities. There are many orphans in these orphanages accompanied by their siblings. Even though they don’t have much, they still care for one another no matter how difficult the circumstance may be.
These are just a few of the things that I learned when I went to India. Coming back gave me a new outlook on what geo on right here in the United states. What I once overlooked became a clear issue to me and I now want to do something to help the community. This eye opening experience made me want to make a difference wherever I am; whether it be in America or out in a third world country. There is a need everywhere. India helped me realize that even the smallest of things can make a world of a difference to someone else. I realized that merely buying someone a coffee or saying hi to someone on the street can put a smile on their face, and I can practice these little things right here at home. I would like to take what I have learned through this experience and become a nurse so that I can do what I really want to do. Help those in need. I want people to experience care even if it is just for a short time.

Post Write
1)I am content with my final draft. I think I have developed my point in that going to India gave me a new perspective on the world. I added more explanation in the conclusion to hopefully give the reader a better understanding of my position.
2)At this point, there’s nothing I can do to change it!
3)Is my point as clear as you wanted it to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment